Thursday, February 28, 2008

Library blog shout-out and slide show

Slate has a really neat slide show on the architecture of libraries.
The slide show highlights some very impressive architecture and I'm reminded of the reading rooms of various downtown libraries that I have visited. [Every time I go to a city, I visit their library. Like a postman's holiday. :)]
The notion of library-as-monument is also discussed. There are arguments that are bandied about stating that libraries need to move beyond looking at themselves as places. While I somewhat agree, the notion that the library can serve as a community center still resonates with me. The library can provide programming and classes that enrich and educate the members of the community. It can be active in providing resources to those in need as in the case of those people affected by Hurricane Katrina. I would really like to see a page of information on the housing market, foreclosures, etc. I will tackle that as soon as possible.
We can get out to those people that can't get into the library through homebound service. We can provide space for community groups to meet, perform and grow.
While Ross Dawson believes that libraries will be extinct by 2019, I think that is only in the perception of what a library is to people today. Whether librarians go the way of the samurai and turn into rogue information mercenaries, we can only see. I think that the virtual libraries that we create (databases, blogs and wikis as informational tools and platforms, e-reference options, etc.) can serve the offline world as well. The only limits that we have are funding, time, staffing and our imaginations. The first one can be a major hurdle to overcome. However, with open source software, telecommuting opportunities and the fact that most "Web 2.0" initiatives do not take extra money. Time is minimal as well since it can take 15 minutes for a person to crank out an interesting blog entry.
Libraries still have the chance to be a part of this revolution (meaning not in the political sense but more in the massive change that will shake things up and turn people's worlds upside down!)

When I was in graduate school, I had a wonderful internship at the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh - Main Branch. It was an absolutely amazing experience. I enjoyed serving such a diverse patron population. I was ever fascinated by the range of questions I would receive. Their rich collection is second to none and it be attributed to the professional librarians and knowledgeable staff that work there. I truly cherished my internship. I know that it served as a bulk of my preparation in my current position. So, what brings me to this trip down memory lane?
The esteemed group of people have started a blog: Eleventh Stack.

Stephen Abrams, SirsiDynix's Vice President of Innovation, made a blog post at the end of December regarding 30 Library Technology Predictions for 2008. One thing that keeps ringing in my ears and should be clanging in some heads of others: "#14. Gaming, RSS and Blogs are totally normal in 2008. Not to be using them is to be well behind the curve of your average user. Few users will be able to point to them since they're just normal. It would be like asking users to point to HTML, CSS or SMTP. They're like the freon in your fridge."
I love taking on "new" technologies and incorporating them into the patron service plan. It's really neat and exciting to see CLP delving into the deep. I'm sure there will be tons to read about and you should definitely check it out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you! clp feels your love.

Anonymous said...

Ditto ditto! Thanks for the shout-out, dear.

--LAV

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Amy:

Glad to hear you are doing well and that you have such great memories of your experience here at the Carnegie.

Hope you continue to enjoy Eleventh Stack - we are having big fun with it.

Don in Reference Services